River Fire Relief
The River Fire has forced the evacuation of over 4,000
people. Structures have burned with homes,
schools and small businesses threatened.
Please Note: Round 3 will be entirely funded with State of California Coronavirus Relief Funds (CRF) and must adhere to all relevant guidelines for the use of these funds.
Overview of the Small Business Grants Program
The immediate goal of the Small Business Grants Program is to direct vital resources to small businesses and nonprofits impacted by COVID-19, and to help cover key expenses until they reopen or resume normal operations.
- Applicants may apply for up to $10,000 in funds. Due to limited funding, not all eligible applicants will be funded.
- Successful applicants will receive technical assistance from a Small Business Development Center counselor (see https://www.sierrasbdc.com/)
PLEASE NOTE: You will need to have a Google account in order to apply. You can create a new account here.
About the State of California Coronavirus Relief Fund (CRF)/Federal CARES Act Requirements:
Eligible uses of award funds include costs of business interruption caused by required closures due to the COVID-19 public health emergency and any necessary expenditures incurred due to the COVID-19 public health emergency during the period that begins on March 1, 2020, and ends on December 30, 2020 and in accordance with federal guidance, as specified here:
Expenses must be directly due to the mandated closures caused by COVID-19 and may include general operating expenses that needed to be paid to maintain business during the mandated closures, Personal Protective Equipment, sanitizing products or other equipment purchased to maintain or shift business processes and procedures.
- Coronavirus Relief Fund Guidance for State Territorial Local and Tribal Governments
- Coronavirus Relief Fund Frequently Asked Questions
CRF funds come with specific reporting and record retention requirements. Please review the “Reporting Requirements” section of the Grant Agreement included in this document.
Criteria for Small Business Grants Requests
- Demonstration that this support will help keep the applicant in business.
- Sound business financial statements
- increased need for technology
- implementing measures to ensure safe social distancing
- “Small businesses” include all businesses located in Nevada County (“bricks and mortar” and home-based businesses) including 501(c)3 and 501(c)6 nonprofit organizations.
- Applicants must have been in operation as of March 1, 2020 with operating cash flows, or documented grant/contract revenues at time of forced closure.
- Applicants must have no more than 25 employees/independent contractors or equivalents.
- Applicants must be in strict adherence to all orders and guidance pertaining to the COVID-19 pandemic issued by the Governor of California, the State Public Health Officer, County Public Health Officer, and/or the Nevada County Director of Environmental Health.
- Applicants must be in good standing with Nevada County and other local jurisdictions with no outstanding fees, debts or warrants.
- All applications must be complete and contain all supporting documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applicants must demonstrate that this grant will help them remain in business and provide financial statements for documentation (see application).
- Applicants may apply to either the Non-Profit “safety net” fund or the Small Business fund but not both in any one cycle.
- If you were awarded a grant in prior rounds, you may apply for this round for the balance up to $10,000 (i.e. if you received $4,000 in Round 2, you may apply for $6,000 in Round 3).
- Applying to the Relief Fund does not preclude applicants from applying to the County of Nevada’s new “Economic & Community Resiliency” grant program.
- Have an available line of credit
- Were insolvent at the time of shutdown
- Have decided not to reopen business or non profit
The Nevada County Relief Fund does not discriminate in its practices in any way, including discrimination based on race, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Download a copy of the application in PDF format to use as a reference guide when filling out your application
- Please create a budget based upon this downloadable pdf. You may upload your budget as a pdf or spreadsheet.
- Gather the referenced financial documents you will need to submit.
- Once you have started the application, you will need to finish without closing your browser - there is no option to save your application and return to it.
- Applications are ONLY available to be submitted online. We are NOT able to accept applications by mail or email.